Friday, February 27, 2009

Brown Derby's Grapefruit Cake Cupcakes

The Brown Derby Restaurant of Hollywood is famous for its Grapefruit Cake with grapefruit frosting...served with a giant thin candied wedge of grapefruit! It's a citrus bonanza~ since we squeeze our own fresh grapefruit juice at Sneakers...I have decided to try this famous cake in cupcake form.

I wanted to come up with something a little different for Mardi Gras weekend and I think these will be great, decorated with purple, yellow, and green! I am debating on what I will make for fondant cut-outs this time...maybe stars, although I would like to make tiny crowns and paint them sparkly gold...I only have tonight to make these, so I am a little short on time to do any really great fondant decorations...should have started last night, but was in incredible food coma from L'Amante...Oh yeah. They didn't have any of the squash blossom fritters, which were actually the selling point for me...but we had pate, fritto misto, penne bolognese, roasted quail, truffled mashed potatoes, potato crusted sea bass w/citrus buerre blanc (!), grilled calamari w/raddicchio, gianduja mousse cake, and lastly...BASIL ICE CREAM W/STRAWBERRIES AND BALSAMIC REDUCTION!!! It was possibly the most delicious ice cream I've ever tried...sweet, herby, refreshing, soft, creamy bright! Ah...and lots of wine and cocktails! Primativo was a very nice, complex & slightly smoky red with a deep inhale but a clean finish... leaving the palate free to explore our feast...and I went with Abby and she got just as food-high as I did which is one reason why I just love her! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment